Having A Will Simply Does Not Ensure the Care of Your Kids If the Unthinkable Happens!
If you are a parent of children who are counting on you, your estate plan must begin with ensuring your children would always be taken care of by the people you want, in the way you want, no matter what happens.
At the Law Office of Zachary B. Setzer, one of our areas of greatest expertise is in planning for the well-being and care of the children you love.
Without advance legal planning for the care of your children, if the unthinkable happens to you, here’s what could happen:
- Your children could be placed into the care of Child Protective Services (yes, even if you have a will in place and even if you have a living trust) and, yes, it would very likely only be temporary, but trust me, you never want your children in the arms of strangers. Not even for a minute.
- Your children could be put into the custody and care of someone you would never want, like that one family member who has good intentions but who you’d never want raising your kids.
- A judge who doesn’t know you, or your family, will decide who will raise your kids, even if it’s the last person you would ever want;
- Your family could get into a long, drawn out custody fight or there could be a challenge to the guardians you have designated;
- When your kids turn 18, they get a check for whatever assets are left;
- There are unscrupulous people out there who make it their business to look at the public records to find out when 18 year olds are getting that inheritance check;
- The vast majority of estate planning attorneys do not address all of these issues and do not plan from a parent’s perspective.
Yes, these things scare us too. That’s why a Kids Protection Plan is included with every estate plan we do for families with young children.
What is a Kids Protection Plan?
A Kids Protection Plan is a set of instructions, legal documents, and even an ID card for your wallet, all of which is designed so that your kids will be in good hands immediately if the unthinkable happens.
If you are in an accident, your Kids Protection Plan will make sure your children are never taken into the custody of Child Protective Services or the care of anyone you wouldn’t want. Your Kids Protection plan will give specific instructions to the police so that they will know who to contact in an emergency to come pick up your kids and take care of them temporarily until a permanent guardianship is established. Your Kids Protection Plan® will ensure your children are raised by people you choose, not someone chosen by a Judge who doesn’t know you.
To get started with your Kids Protection Plan, just give us a call!